Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The People behind the Conservative Bible Project


Dear ultra right-wing morons,

I recently heard about Conservapedia's “Conservative Bible Project” and I must say that I was a little surprised.

I’m glad that some of you people over at Conservapedia are starting to realize that the Bible actually is a document that you have to interpret – not something you can follow literally all the time – but I didn't think you would admit that.

What doesn't surprise me is your quest to purge some of the bits that are actually good about the Bible – the “liberal bias” as you call it. It doesn't surprise me one bit that you are angry that your precious Bibles says that Jesus talked about things like forgiveness.

In short, your whole project seems immeasurably stupid and narrow-minded, but that’s not what I’m here to talk about. I don’t care much about the Bible and I’m well aware that it has been changed innumerable times over the years already, so once more doesn't seem to matter very much.

What did catch my attention is this little blurb at the Conservapedia main page:

Liberal hypocrisy anyone? In their condemnation of the Conservative Bible Translation Project, the critics have forgotten their praise for last year's "Green Bible", an eco-friendly edition made from recycled paper, processed soy ink, and the words of nature - not Christ - in green.”

What is hypocritical about that? Even if we disregard the fact that it is probably not the same people who praised the Green Bible who criticize the Conservative Bible, I still don’t see your point.

They changed the emphasis in some Biblical texts to say that we need to take care of the environment. You are changing the words.

You must understand the difference, don’t you? Not all Bibles have the words of Jesus highlighted in the first place and making a bunch of different words highlighted only serves to draw attention to other parts of the book than usual. It’s all supposed to be holy anyway, isn’t it, so isn’t it just good that it encourages people to think about more parts?

But I guess that you people, as usual, just hate the environment so very much that you must take any chance you have to sling some mud at the people who think that we should actually care for the only planet that we can live on.

Well, anyway, good luck with your project. I’m certain you’ll find more parts of the Bible that you don’t like when you start reading it carefully. I certainly did when I tried to read it.

Sincere hypocritical greetings,
Marcus

No comments:

Post a Comment